Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I register a travelball team?
- How do I register a recreational team?
- How do I pay for the coverage when I register online?
- Can I pay with Paypal?
- When do I need to register my players?
- Are Players covered while participating in tryouts/clincs?
- Do players need to register a second time if they change to another USA team?
- Does the insurance coverage follow a player who plays on another team or goes to play in non-USA sanctioned events?
- Why do players need insurance if they have coverage through their parents' health plan or other coverage?
- What proof of USA Insurance is provided?
- What can be done if a player quits the league after the information and payment has been submitted to USA /USA Softball?
- How can I obtain a Certificate of Insurance so my team/organization may use a softball facility?
- Travelball team members are registered individually. Specific information on how to register a Travelball team can be found here.
- Recreational team members are registered as a team. Specific information for Recreational Team registration can be found here.
- Once you have submitted your Registration/Insurance form an invoice will automatically be emailed to the person currently on file with us. Payment can then be made through Paypal or by mailing a check to: GSJSA, Attn: Bart Magellan, JO Commissioner, 8900 N Thornton Road #19, Stockton, CA 95209
- If you participated in the Individual Registration program in 2015, your coverage expired on December 31, 2015. Coverage for the 2016 season will begin when payment is received by Bart Magellan, JO Commissioner. However, you MUST register/insure your players/staff within 14 days of your draft to ensure that your coverage will not lapse for the 2016 season. Sorry, we can no longer guaranty coverage past this 14 day window. "A"/Travel teams MUST register players/staff within 14 days of their first tryout.
- Yes, players are covered prior to actual registration and payment provided that you do register them. NOTE: It is imperative that you register any participant who is injured during tryouts/clinics and that a copy of the individual registration form be included with the claim.
- No, the individual registration will follow the travelball player for all USA Softball play for the year. Registration covers the player from the time the JO Commissioner receives the required information and payment through December 31st of the current year, regardless of how many USA teams the player joins.
Does the insurance coverage follow a travelball player who plays on another team or goes to play in non-USA sanctioned events?
- a) Yes. The coverage follows the travelball player who plays on a team that is registered with USA for the current year.
- b) Yes. The coverage follows the travelball player even if the player goes to play on her own in an USA Sanctioned Tournament.
- c) Yes. The coverage follows the travelball players on an individually registered team if they play as a team activity in a non-USA sanctioned event.
- d) No. The coverage does not apply if the travelball player goes on her own to play in a non-USA sanctioned event.
Why do players need insurance if they have coverage through their parents' health plan or other coverage?
- USA /USA Softball has made a commitment to provide accident and liability insurance to all of its participants in the Junior Olympic (youth) program, as do many other sports organizations. One reason for doing so is because the coaches or managers of the teams and leagues don't necessarily know who has other insurance and who doesn't. And even if they could, the situations in each family could change during the year, making it impractical to track. Thus, all players are protected by an Accident Medical policy. This coverage is designed to supplement any existing coverage the player may have. For example, this coverage may pick up deductibles or supplement limitations of the primary coverage. If no other insurance exists, then this coverable would become primary. There is also a $2,000,000 liability policy to protect the players, coaches, team and the league against lawsuits arising out of their softball activities.
- Each person receives from their JO Commissioner an USA /USA Softball registration card with personal information printed on it. On the back of the card is information regarding the insurance coverage and a toll‑free phone number to call in case of an accident claim.
What can be done if a player quits the league after the information and payment has been submitted to USA /USA Softball?
- Once submitted, the registration and insurance continue for the remainder of the year and may not be cancelled. The player will continue to be covered for any USA Softball activities during the year.
- Requests for Certificates of Insurance naming field owners as Additional Insured may be requested from your JO Commissioner. An online form is available here.